The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is required to collect data every three years on the occupational mix of employees for each short-term, acute care hospital that is subject to the inpatient
prospective payment system, in order to construct an occupational mix adjustment to the wage index.
The 2016 Occupational Mix Survey Hospital Reporting Form CMS-10079 must be submitted to your Medicare Administrative Contractor by July 1, 2017. This survey includes data for pay periods ending between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. The occupational mix adjustment calculated from this survey will be applied to the federal fiscal years 2019 through 2021 wage indices.
The survey and instructions are available at CMS’ website:
1. Go to www.cms.gov.
2. Click on “Medicare” on the top left side of the screen.
3. Click on “Acute Inpatient PPS” under “Medicare Fee-for-Service Payment” on the right side of the screen.
4. Click on “Wage Index Files” on the left side of the screen.
5. Click on “Fiscal Year” in the middle of the screen to sort in descending order.
6. Click on “2016 Occupational Mix Survey Hospital Reporting Form CMS-10079 for the Wage Index Beginning FY 2019”.
The following is the direct link to the survey and instructions:
If you have any questions or need our help completing the survey, please contact our Albany office at (229)883-7878 or our Atlanta office at (404) 220-8494.